Borussia Dortmund manager Lucien Favre has told Manchester United that Jadon Sancho has decided to stay for another season.
The 20-year-old is United’s priority target for the remainder of the transfer window but Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s side have refused to meet Dortmund’s €120 million (£108m) asking price.
Dortmund had set a deadline of August 10 for United to complete a deal for Sancho as the Bundesliga club wanted the winger’s future resolved before the team began their pre-season training camp in Switzerland.
Reports are claiming that United are now exploring other options to Sancho, with Gareth Bale, Ivan Perisic and Douglas Costa all potential alternatives.
And Favre insists everyone at Dortmund are ‘happy’ that Sancho will be remaining with them for another campaign.
‘We need him, no question,’ Favre told Swiss news agency Keystone-SDA.
‘Everyone was happy that he stayed. We don’t need to talk long about its qualities – they are enormous.
‘He scores and sets up a lot of goals and can often make all the difference.
‘But there are some details that Sancho needs to improve. That is quite normal for a 20-year-old.’
More: Manchester United FC
Favre has also been impressed by Jude Bellingham, who opted to join Dortmund instead of United earlier this year.
‘Of course, I’m looking forward to a player like him,’ said Favre.
‘I got to know him better during the preparation. I like how he handles the ball and how he can defend it.
‘Jude possesses many tactical options and an amazing presence.
‘He can play as a six or eight, plays good passes, seeks completion. Various systems are possible with him. It’s all very, very interesting.’
For more stories like this, check our sport page.