Mike Tyson would relish chance for ‘mind-blowing’ charity match-up with Anthony Joshua – who is 24 years younger – and insists ‘it would be just entertainment for a good cause’
- Mike Tyson is scheduled to face Roy Jones Jr in comeback charity fight
- Tyson said he would also relish the chance to meet Anthony Joshua in the ring
- He insisted it would be entertainment for charity rather than serious contest
Mike Tyson says he would relish a ‘mind-blowing’ charity match-up with Anthony Joshua.
The American boxing legend is due to face Roy Jones Jr in his return to the ring on November 28, although the coronavirus pandemic may yet hamper those plans.
And when asked whether he’d be interested in a charity bout with the current WBA (Super), IBF, WBO, and IBO heavyweight champion, who aged 30 is 24 years his junior, Tyson was keen.
Mike Tyson said a charity match-up with Anthony Joshua would be ‘mind-blowing’
AJ is 24 years older than Tyson and any match-up would be entertainment for a good cause
In an interview with iFL TV, he said: ‘I would love to do that. That would be mind-blowing.’
‘If doing that means we can have bigger charity exponents, well be it, I’m down to do that too. It’s entertainment, it’s just for charity – it’s for a good cause, but we’re giving our best.’
Tyson has regularly posted workout videos on his Instagram page over recent months and is in impressive condition.
The 54-year-old last fought professionally 15 years ago and no reputable governing body would sanction a competitive fight between him and AJ, although a glorified light sparring contest could be agreed to.
Tyson has not fought for 15 years but seems intent on stepping into the ring aged 54
Shannon Briggs has offered to step in and replace Roy Jones Jr if he backs out of the November contest while Evander Holyfield was previously touted as a possible opponent.
Clearly Tyson is eager to lace up the gloves again but the seriousness of a charity bout remains to be seen.
Joshua is preparing to take on mandatory challenger Kubrat Pulev in December this year.
His promoter Eddie Hearn has confirmed that the bout will go ahead despite the recent government rules on Covid-19 preventing fans returning to watch live sport.
Joshua won back his belts in the rematch against Andy Ruiz in Saudi Arabia last year