Ole Gunnar Solskjaer is giving consideration to changing formation ahead of tonight’s heavyweight Champions League showdown against Paris Saint-Germain given the absences of two key centre-backs.
Skipper Harry Maguire has not travelled with the rest of the squad to the French capital, while Eric Bailly has also been ruled out with a hamstring strain he picked up while on international duty earlier this month with Ivory Coast.
Maguire has endured a difficult start to the new season following his summer arrest for an altercation with Greek police while on holiday in Mykonos.
After he was sent-off for England against Denmark, Solskjaer persevered with the 27-year-old against Newcastle on Saturday, and the former Leicester City star rewarded his manager’s faith with a goal in a much-needed 4-1 victory.
United will, however, be without the injuted Maguire as they attempt to tame an attack that contains the likes of Kylian Mbappe and Neymar at Parc des Princes this evening.
With Marcos Rojo and Phil Jones out of favour, Solskjear, according to the Telegraph, is giving thought to employing the 3-5-2 formation which worked so well on occasion last season, particularly against Manchester City, with Luke Shaw deployed as a left-sided centre-half.
Axel Tuanzebe is also in line for promotion to the starting XI and is in line to make his first appearance for United since last December’s 3-0 win over Colchester in the EFL Cup.
More: Manchester United FC
United face Chelsea in the Premier League on Saturday evening and Maguire is said to be doubtful for the match against Frank Lampard’s side.
‘We hope Harry will be fit for the weekend, we’re not sure but we hope,’ said Solskjaer on Monday at his pre-match press conference.
The match will also come too soon for deadline day signing Edinson Cavani, who misses out on the opportunity to lock horns with his former side after he was deemed surplus to requirements at the end of last season.
For more stories like this, check our sport page.