عالمية عالمية

Dillian Whyte insists Alexander Povetkin knows he’ll be more formidable this time

Dillian Whyte insists Alexander Povetkin knows he’s up against a more formidable opponent this time after his stunning knockout defeat in their first fight as the pair stare off ahead of Saturday’s rematch in Gibraltar

  • Dillian Whyte faces off against Alexander Povetkin in a rematch this Saturday
  • The Brit has insisted Povetkin looks like a man who knows he’s up against it 
  • Whyte is seeking revenge after being knocked out in their first fight in August
  • He said he is looking forward to putting on a performance in front of a crowd 

Dillian Whyte has insisted Alexander Povetkin is trying to mask his true emotions because he knows he is up against a more formidable opponent than in their first fight.

The Brixton heavyweight was dominating their first encounter back in August last year and floored Povetkin twice before the Russian delivered a stunning uppercut to knock him out.

Whyte, who surrendered his position as the No-1 ranked fighter with the WBC as a result of just the second defeat of his professional career, has vowed to bounce back and claim revenge when Saturday’s ‘rumble on the rock’ lands in Gibraltar.

Dillian Whyte and Alexander Povetkin went head to head at Thursday’s final press conference

‘He’s quite relaxed, trying not to show a lot of emotions but I can see. We’re fighters, we know. We’ve shared the ring before,’ Whyte said after their intense stare off on Thursday.

‘He knows. He says that he knows that I’m going to be much better this time around. We’ll see.

‘I’ve been fighting top guys for the last six years. It’s like a game of dice. You roll the dice, you don’t know what number it’s going to land on.

Whyte said Povetkin knows he'll be more formidable this time around after losing the first fight

Whyte said Povetkin knows he’ll be more formidable this time around after losing the first fight

‘If you fight good guys, back-to-back, you will get knocked down, you will lose. It’s just what it is.

‘The main thing is I’ll bounce back. I don’t let these things bother me, or trouble me too much. I’ve always been a warrior.’

Victory for Whyte would see him move back into contention for a world title shot later this year, but a second defeat against the 41-year-old veteran could prove disastrous.

The British challenger acknowledges this is ‘the biggest fight of his career’ and admits he is looking forward to putting on a performance for the 500 people attending in his first fight in front of crowd since the pandemic struck.

Whyte was brutally knocked out by Povetkin in the fifth round of their fight back in August

Whyte was brutally knocked out by Povetkin in the fifth round of their fight back in August

He added: ‘It’s been difficult for everyone this last year. I’m just doing my part to bring our beloved sport back to some normality. This fight is a big fight, it’s as big as any world title fight.

‘I’m just glad that the people of Gibraltar have made this happen and it’s going to be rocking and jumping on Saturday night, it’s going to be like York Hall.

‘This is the most important fight of my career, I’m used to bouncing back and proving people wrong. Everyone keeps going on about the defeat, but it’s nothing. I’m improving, I’m getting better every day and on Saturday I’m coming to leave it all on the line again. 

‘The main thing is getting the win, I hate losing, I want to make it 1-1. I’ll do whatever I need to do.’

Whyte said he is looking forward to performing in front of a live audience on Saturday night

Whyte said he is looking forward to performing in front of a live audience on Saturday night

الوسوم
اظهر المزيد

اترك تعليقاً

لن يتم نشر عنوان بريدك الإلكتروني. الحقول الإلزامية مشار إليها بـ *

زر الذهاب إلى الأعلى
إغلاق

أنت تستخدم إضافة Adblock

برجاء دعمنا عن طريق تعطيل إضافة Adblock