Amid all the action at the Euros and Copa America, the summer transfer window has opened for some leagues, with Europe’s biggest clubs looking to make a splash in the transfer market. Check out the latest gossip below, and see see all official deals here.
TOP STORY: Man United want Torres in swap deal
Manchester United are making progress in a move for Villarreal defender Pau Torres, according to the Manchester Evening News.
The 24-year-old has impressed for the Yellow Submarine this season, making 33 appearances from a possible 38 in La Liga. Torres also played a key role in the Europa League success of Unai Emery’s side, who managed to beat Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s United on penalties in the final.
The Spain international, on duty at Euro 2020, has a reported release clause of €60 million in his contract that runs until 2024. However, United’s hierarchy have the growing belief that an offer involving a fee, plus players, could persuade the La Liga outfit to let him go, although the Spanish side would prefer a higher valuation with no players involved.
The Red Devils are keen to bolster their defensive ranks, looking for an ideal partner for captain Harry Maguire. If they should fail to land Torres, there are a number of backup options they are also evaluating.
The club saw an offer of €55m shrugged off by Real Madrid for Raphael Varane and are reluctant to go higher due to the player’s contract expiring in 2022. Sergio Ramos is another who has been linked with the Premier League side in recent weeks and he is available on a free transfer from Real Madrid this summer..
14.02 BST: Chelsea have a “concrete interest” in Aston Villa’s Jack Grealish this summer, according to Football Insider.
Pep Guardiola wants Grealish as part of Manchester City’s summer squad strengthening programme, with sources telling ESPN that the City manager regards the midfielder as important a target as Tottenham forward Harry Kane.
However, Chelsea are also prepared to battle for Grealish after spending over £220m on Kai Havertz, Timo Werner, Ben Chilwell, Hakim Ziyech and Edouard Mendy last summer.
Grealish is valued at around £100m and signed a five-year contract with Villa last year. Villa have spent £33m to sign Emiliano Buendia from Norwich City this summer and are also reportedly interest in Southampton’s James Ward-Prowse and Arsenal playmaker Emile Smith Rowe.
13.18 BST: Could a Harry Kane and Raheem Sterling swap work from a playing point of view?
Julien Laurens analyzes the possibility of Manchester City offering up Raheem Sterling in a swap for Harry Kane.
12.27 BST: There have been reports Raheem Sterling could be one of the players Manchester City use to tempt Tottenham to move Harry Kane on for £100m-plus-players this summer, but sources have told ESPN the England winger is not willing to be part of any deal.
The Daily Star says City could offer four other players as possible swaps: Gabriel Jesus, Bernardo Silva, Aymeric Laporte and Riyad Mahrez.
Sources have told ESPN there is an acceptance at the Etihad Stadium that it will be hard to prise Kane from Tottenham this summer given his importance to Spurs and his contract situation.
12.15 BST: Shakhtar have signed Marlon from Sassuolo for a €12m fee plus add-ons. The defender has put pen to paper on a five-year contract.
11.45 BST: Liverpool defender Neco Williams is reportedly available for £10m and Leeds, Southampton, Aston Villa and Burnley are showing interest, according to The Athletic.
Williams, 20, has impressed for Wales at Euro 2020 but has struggled to oust Trent Alexander-Arnold from the starting XI at Anfield.
11.21 BST: Wolves forward Adama Traore seems to be keen on a return to Barcelona.
Traore, 25, left Barca in 2015 and headed to Aston Villa before joining Middlesbrough then Wolves in 2018. The Spain international is at Euro 2020 and has a contract at Wolves until 2023.
“Barcelona is my home, that’s the reality. I grew up there, I was there for 10 years,” he told RAC1. “They’ve always given me a lot. We would have to see what they offer… but now the mentality is the national team and Wednesday’s game.”
Barca certainly don’t need a forward at the moment as they have Lionel Messi, Sergio Aguero, Antoine Griezmann, Ousmane Dembele, Ansu Fati, Memphis Depay, Trincao and Martin Braithwaite. But Sport reckons they might keen on a swap for Trincao and Traore.
10.46 BST: AS says that Mallorca are “in pole” position to land Atletico Madrid’s backup goalkeeper Ivo Grbic on loan.
Grbic, 25, is stuck behind No. 1 Jan Oblak and needs game time but Atletico may have to consider getting a reliable backup if they send him away, though they could promote 23-year-old Miguel San Roman.
10.10 BST: Manchester United could sign Sergio Ramos for nothing, but should they?
Don Hutchison suggests Man United should focus on signing Raphael Varane over Sergio Ramos.
09.40 BST: Gianluca Di Marzio reports that Hakan Calhanoglu is undergoing his medical at Inter ahead of his switch from AC Milan.
Calhanoglu, 27, will leave Milan on a free transfer this summer and move to the club’s city rivals.
09.31 BST: Axel Tuanzebe is set to ask Manchester United for a loan move to ensure he gets first-team football next season, sources have told ESPN’s Rob Dawson.
Tuanzebe is highly rated at Old Trafford but found opportunities hard to come by last season, starting just nine games.
The centre-back, who has been capped by England at Under-21 level, is keen to continue his development with a full season out on loan and sources have told ESPN that clubs in the Premier League and abroad have already registered interest in signing the 23-year-old for the 2021-22 campaign.
He has a contract at Old Trafford until 2022 with the option of a further year.
08.44 BST: The transfer rumour mill is still turning but it is unlikely that any of Europe’s top clubs will spend €100m on one player this summer, as they have done in the past. Transfer values have shrunk, and clubs are cutting costs, but swap deals could be the salvation.
How about Real Madrid’s Raphael Varane and Rodrygo switching places with Paris Saint-Germain’s Kylian Mbappe? Or even Juventus’ Cristiano Ronaldo and Aaron Ramsey moving to Manchester United, with Paul Pogba going in the other direction?
With the caveat that they are all hypothetical, here’s a list of swap deals that big clubs could try to pull off in the transfer market to get what they want.
– Molyneux-Carter: Transfer swap deals we’d like to see
08.00 BST: Manchester City are readying a £100m offer for Tottenham Hotspur striker Harry Kane, sources have told ESPN’s James Olley and Rob Dawson.
Kane, 27, has informed Spurs of his desire to leave this summer, with City leading Manchester United and Chelsea in the race for his signature.
Sources at both City and Tottenham have denied a formal bid has been tabled as of Monday afternoon.
But sources said City are preparing to test Spurs chairman Daniel Levy’s resolve with an opening offer that could also include a player-plus-cash proposal.
Sources said Levy is certain to reject any bid at that level, given Kane is valued at around £150m and has three years remaining on his current £200,000-a-week contract.
– Olley: Kane, England must find form to make Euro 2020 run
Gab Marcotti examines Raphael Varane’s situation at Real Madrid as reports link the defender to Manchester United.
PAPER GOSSIP (by Luke Thrower)
– Atletico Madrid are interested in Napoli forward Lorenzo Insigne, according to Mundo Deportivo. The 30-year-old only has one year left on his deal, and with Udinese midfielder Rodrigo de Paul set to join Los Rojiblancos, Diego Simeone is interested in more signings from Serie A.
– Following on with more from Atletico Madrid, the club are said to be interested in Hector Bellerin this summer should they move for a right-back. Marca reports that the 26-year-old looks to be edging closer to an Arsenal exit after seven years at the club, and Simeone would like to sign the Spain international if they lose a full-back of their own. Both Kieran Trippier and Sime Vrsaljko have been linked with a move away.
– Leicester City have joined Nice in the battle for the signature of Celtic’s Ryan Christie this summer with former Hoops manager Brenden Rodgers taking an interest in the midfielder, according to The Daily Mail. The 26-year-old is yet to sign a new deal at the club with his contract expiring in January. Nice put in an £8m offer in January of 2021, but Rodgers is determined to bring the Scotland international to the Midlands.
– Paris Saint-Germain are in pole position to sign Sergio Ramos on a free transfer when he leaves Real Madrid this summer, according to AS. Mauricio Pochettino’s side are said to have tabled a better financial deal for the 35-year-old than the likes of Manchester United and Manchester City. The French capital is the perfect destination for the player’s family with a two-year offer also meeting his contract expectations for the future.
– Juventus are looking to part ways with Aaron Ramsey, with a return to the Premier League a possibility, according to Calciomercato. The 30-year-old has had a tough time in Italy since his move, injuries still plaguing him, but the former Arsenal midfielder has shown glimpses of quality with Wales at Euro 2020. West Ham United and Crystal Palace are said to be interested in a deal, while Juve would hold out for a transfer fee of €15m to let him go.